Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Little Patient

This whole ordeal started back in June, when Lilibell had an appointment to be spayed. You may have read about the ensuing problems here. After a month of being on Denamarin, her liver levels were finally down to normal and she got the go ahead for her surgery! I of course was, on the one hand, happy that the surgery could finally go forward, but on the other hand, it made me nervous and anxious all over again. As many of you can relate, I just hate the thought of one of my babies having to go through this, and was still a little worried that something might happen to her - because of her liver levels being out of whack, there were certain things she could not have in her anesthesia, and I started having all kinds of nightmares, such as what if she could feel pain during the surgery (yes, I have a very active imagination, lol!). The day of the surgery came, October 8. As I had to work, Steve was to drop her off at the vets bright and early that morning. My mind was scattered all over the place that morning from worry, Steve was the one who thought of bringing her blue sheep with her so she could have some comfort, and to also dress her in her warm pink hoodie. It was a very nerve wracking morning and early afternoon until I could call the vets at 2:00 to see how she made out. And what a relief it was to hear that she was okay and would be ready to be picked up 7:30 that night! We did have the option of having her stay overnight, but we decided to pick her up (I had the overwhelming need to have my baby back home with us and in my arms). We got to the vets and waited in a room until they gave her pain meds. The door opened.....and there was my little munchkin, with that ridiculous cone on, but with a smile on her face and her tail wagging a mile a minute (think she was happy to see us?!!).

Before we left home, I had already washed my face and got ready for the night, so the only thing I had to do when I got back home was change into my PJs. Once we were home, I settled us on the couch and Chewy came over to sniff his sister. I have to say that he was such a little angel, I had envisioned problems with him, such as wanting to play with her or being rough with her. But he sensed that she wasn't feeling good and contented himself with snuggling up with us.
I took that ridiculous cone off of her so she could be comfortable and threw our faux fur throw over us so she could be warm. As we were sitting there, I could feel her quivering from the pain and hear her whimpering and that's when my tears started. I started questioning the wisdom of us bringing her home that night, and I felt so guilty for putting her through this ordeal and utterly helpless, until Steve pointed out the fact that she would've been in pain no matter where she was, and at least she was home in a familiar environment with us, instead of being alone in a cage.

Then I had to figure out where we would sleep that night. I didn't want us to sleep in bed because I wasn't sure if she would wake up and try to jump off the bed. Then I thought of making a bed for her on the floor beside my bed, but nixed that idea - I knew I would not be able to sleep and would be constantly leaning over to check on her throughout the night. I decided that we would sleep on the couch and needless to say, it was not a good night's sleep for me! I took the back cushions off the couch so we could have more room, which resulted in me being pressed up against the hard back; I had Chewy either between my legs or next to them, so I didn't really have much leg room; and I had Lilibell on the side of me next to my stomach. During the night, every time I needed to turn over, I woke up so that I could turn over carefully and not jostle Lilibell. And even though she was right beside me, I still checked on her throughout the night, making sure she was still breathing!

The next day I had taken a personal day, and Lilibell spent the whole day sleeping on my stomach, except for when she got up to pee and eat a little.
Saturday she basically slept the whole day, but ate a little more than Friday, and by Sunday she was finally starting to get back to herself. I decided to take her out a bit for our neighborhood Columbus Day Feast and to get some air. By Monday, she was fully back to her normal bubbly self!

All I can say is "whew" thank goodness this is all done and over with!!


Tiffany and the Munchkins said...

I am so glad everything went well with Miss Lilibell's surgery and that she is back to normal now. I thought about the two of you all day on Thursday and Friday. In the first picture with the cone she reminds me so much of Lexi when she doesn't feel good. And what a good brother Chewy was helping take care of Sissy!

Nadine said...

Thank you Auntie Tiffany, maybe that's why I got better so fast - because of your good thoughts you sent my way!!

Chi kisses, Lilibell

Bijou said...


Me and Banjo are glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are feeling better. Your pawrents and brother are no doubt taking very good care of you.


Doctor Dre said...

Hi Chewy & lilibell,
thank you for visiting me blog! so nice to meet you two.
dre so glad miss lilibelle is feeling better.
also dre very flattered about your offer. there is plenty of me to go around baby! yey!

Dr. Dre

Dip-Dip and The Bridge said...

It's a rough time for us mummies when our little girls go through this. Bridge had to have a pain relief injection a week after she was speyed as she was still walking like a crab with the pain. Sounds like Steve thought of everything she needed before she went:)
I think she was much happier with you than at the vets, I did the same thing. It is also amazing how the other dog seems to know that they have had something done and is really gentle.
So happy to hear everything is fine now with Lilibell and that she is well on the mend, bless her!
Kisses to the patient and adorable Chewy, Lynne xxx

Cocorue said...

oh Nadine, reading your post not only brought back memories of her spaying but also the other two ops she endured for her torn ligament and luxated patellas.......felt your pain and anxiety

they are just too precious to us, aren't they???
so relieved it's all behind you and that Lilibell is fine now

kisses and hugs to both of them and an extra big one for you

Pedro said...

Oh my! That's a pretty harrowing story. My mom says the way you worried was the main reason she never took away my manhood! I don't know what I'd do if my mom left me. I think I'd shake so much they'd never be able to do the surgery! Seriously though, I'm glad Lilibell is ok! I found your blog through my home slice Dr. Dre and you're right, he has one awesome blog! Stop by and see me some time :P


Louisiana Belle said...

We are glad you are feeling better after your surgery. Sorry you had to go through that.

Licks & wags,
Sparky & Izzy

Twix said...

Lilli, I am so glad you are doing good and your brother is not being mean to you. You will be 100% back to normal very soon and then you can start picking on Chewy!